Some of the Core Values or Central Part of Many Pentecostal Church’s Emphasis
- The first and most important belief in Pentecostal churches is that salvation is through Jesus Christ, and Him alone. This is not unique to Pentecostal churches as all Evangelical churches believe and teach that salvation is not by works or any other means but by believing with your heart and confessing with your mouth that Jesus is Lord.
- Pentecostals believe that God’s manifest presence can be felt and experienced and it is something we strive for.
- Pentecostals believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible. We teach and emphasize that every believer should read and study God’s Word every day. Therefore we teach and believe in a literal heaven and hell, preceded by judgement for every person.
- We believe in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence being speaking in tongues. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit can happen at salvation but experientially often occurs as a second experience following salvation.
- Pentecostals teach and believe that the Gifts of The Holy Spirit are for today, as taught in 1 Corinthians 12 and other places.
- We believe that Christ will return for the Rapture of His church and later Christ will return to earth, His Second Coming, for everyone still remaining on earth to see.
- We believe in divine healing as described in Isaiah 53, that when Jesus died on the cross He took up or carried all our sins and all our sicknesses, “…by His stripes you are healed!” However we also believe that good health care by doctors and dentists are part of God’s provision and blessing for us.
- Pentecostals believe and practice spontaneous worship. Our worship consists of singing, clapping and at times shouting and sometimes even crying.
- Pentecostals believe in praying. We teach that God commands us to pray and we should expect Him to answer our prayers.
- Pentecostals believe that Jesus commanded His church to go into all the world and be “fishers of men”. Evangelism is a core value for Pentecostal churches.
- The Pentecostal church was one of the first religious groups to ordain women into leadership roles in Christ’s Church
- Most Pentecostal churches will teach and encourage Christians to dress modestly and avoid worldliness in their daily lives.
- Pentecostals believe in being generous and faithful in bringing a portion of their income as a weekly offering to the Lord.
This list is not meant to be exhaustive but is intended to help us understand some of what the core values of Pentecostal churches around the world are so we can understand why God’s blessings have been upon the Pentecostal church worldwide
We adhere to the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada’s “Statement of Fundamental & Essential Truths.” A detailed copy of this can be found on their website at https://paoc.org/docs/default-source/fellowship-services-documents/statement-of-fundamental-and-essential-truths.pdf?sfvrsn=153a1d6a_0